Sunday, September 1, 2013

An Organized Sewing Closet, FINALLY

I finally tore into my sewing closet!   It has been something I have wanted to do for a
 LONG 
time now but overwhelmed at what a job it would be.

Sorry I didn't get a photo of it completely full, but just vision this...it was stacked clear to the top with no shelves and lots of plastic bags.


I am a little embarrassed to let you all into my madness of a closet.
It was a mess!  This is while I was working on clearing it out.

This used to be Hannah's room when she was little and we had her closet organized perfectly for her clothes and things.  But now it just wasn't functioning for all of my junk.  
I needed shelves!


I had went to Lowes to buy the melamine board thinking one would be plenty.   After measuring I figured out it would give me only 2 shelves.  Well, I didn't want to run back out so I got creative with some wood in the garage.


I was able to sweet talk Mike into making the shelves for me yesterday evening while the girls were out to the movies.  He of course wanted to watch football.  Didn't he do a great job?  I then painted the 2 sets of boards on the bottom.  
It looks so much better with all of that junk out of it!


Then the fun part began for me...NOT!
I went through every little bag. Threw away so much and figured out that I was a fabric hoarder.  I talked to myself asking these questions with no response other than I am a hoarder!  Why did I save little scraps that I could never use?  


Well, my Mama would be so proud.  This is what came out of that closet that was trash...can you believe it?!


Let me tell you, it is packed!  But now I can actually see what I need and pull it out without pulling out everything in the whole closet.  I am so happy!  


I decided to add curtains instead of putting the louvered door back up.  It was awkward trying to get in there with it.  So why not curtains?


~Sorry about the wrinkles~
(I think it adds character)
I love the little ruffles added don't you?


Now I can get in there so much easier!!!

My next closet to work on is the utility closet.  Wonder if I could get Mike to do it tomorrow? 


9 comments:

  1. I have a closet that had the folding doors but they kept coming off track - I never even thought of a curtain!! Fabulous idea!! If you don't mind where did you get those cute curtains??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! I actually made the curtains. I make all of mine because I can never find what I want. Been doing it for years now.

      Delete
    2. Well....I am jealous!! They are super-cute! I have no sewing talent whatsoever, but I too am a fabric hoarder all with the great intention of teaching myself to sew! I even bought myself a cheap machine and a bunch of sewing things, but alas, I am HORRIBLE at it! lol

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I love it! I need to do the same with some of my closets here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with the closet. I bet it feels great to be organized! Mine is a pile right now. I need to get on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike really better start worrying--your mama's genes are starting to show! :) It looks simply fabulous, and I'm SO proud of you for tackling it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fabric closet looks like your did so your not alone. I am getting better as my neighbor makes a lot of quilts so I gave her TONS of material and scraps. I am a hoarder also.
    Yours looks great and so organized. Love the curtain drape.
    Good luck on your utility closet.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie
    It looks so organized in there now. It will save you so much time when you start your next project. It looks awesome. Great job
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got rid of a PILE of stuff! Good for you!!! And I love all the little detailing on the curtains!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie